Friday, May 9, 2014

Persuasive Principle #10: Law of Contrast



          In Maximum Influence, author Kurt W. Mortensen states, “The Law of Contrast explains how we are affected when we are introduced to two different alternatives or options in succession” (Mortensen 164). If you show a product then present a second product that is different from the first, and those differences are amplified, that contrast will allow you to be more persuasive in selling your product. I use the Law of Contrast quite often because as a human I am always comparing things to choose the best option for me. A simple example of this is when I decide what I want to eat for lunch every day. I weigh the options of choosing one meal over another to determine what the best choice is on that particular day. Factors that play a role in my decision-making are: what I’m doing later, which tastes better, how much of each option is left or will be leftover, and how the food makes me feel. By creating contrast between the two options I persuade myself to eat the one that appears to have the greatest benefit. I also use this law when I persuade my friends and family, such as getting them to go to a movie that I want to see by making their option appear terrible, subsequently making my movie choice appear great. Although I can use this law effectively I want improve my ability to a point where I can persuade people to do something a bit more serious, as opposed to doing miscellaneous things like going to the movies.
            During the 2011-12 season the National Basketball Association experienced a lockout. Instead of the usual eighty-two game schedule the teams only played sixty-six games. The NBA lost a lot of support because the lockout made them look stingy and selfish. It was lucrative enough that a person could get paid nearly nine figures to dribble a ball, but when they demanded more a line had to be drawn. The NBA realized that they were quickly losing support so they discounted a lot of their products to regain their fans. One day I was watching television when a commercial for NBA League Pass came on, which is a sports package that gives you access to all of the games. They made it explicitly clear in big and bold letters that the price of a full season was two-hundred dollars and was brought down to one-hundred dollars. That was such a tremendous difference in price that they persuaded me to buy League Pass. I felt that I was getting my money’s worth by them showing what the product usually cost and the low price they decided to change it to. NBA League Pass emphasized that they offered all of the games, for every team, every night, all season long for only one-hundred dollars. Not only did I get the product for a long period of time at a low cost, but they tripled the value of the product by providing more benefits and bonuses (Mortensen 166). Their ability to use the Law of Contrast effectively persuaded me to buy League Pass and support the NBA.
            A few months ago I went to Best Buy to purchase an electronic device. Once I reached the register I was met by a salesman who greeted me and started the transaction. When he scanned the device he looked to me and asked if I wanted to purchase a warranty. I was curious about the warranty so I kindly asked the young man to elaborate. He informed me that I would get three years of protection, no charges for expenses like shipping, and they would provide a guaranteed fix if anything went wrong. The young salesman persuaded me to get the warranty at that moment because of his ability to use the Law of Contrast. The salesman sweetened the pot by giving me all of those benefits in addition to my device, and I loved every bit of that (Mortensen 166). All of that changed when I asked him how much the warranty would cost me. His request was completely unrealistic because the price of the warranty was fifty dollars, which was almost as much as my device was worth (Mortensen 176). He had gotten rid of the contrast he created by telling me it would cost a lot of money for a lot of benefits. Since it wasn’t worth it to me I wasn’t persuaded to buy the warranty, so I only bought my device. In order to become more persuasive Best Buy needs to lower the price of the warranty to create contrast and make people feel that they are getting their money’s worth.
            The commercials for the Nutrisystem weight loss program utilize the Law of Contrast big time. For starters, they stress the comparison effect by showing pictures of sad, overweight, and unhealthy people. Right next to those pictures are the same people that look happy, slim, energetic, and incredibly healthy. There is a huge contrast between the two people and it is persuasive because if a viewer is overweight they could get the impression that they can transform themselves for the better through nutrisystem (Mortensen 172). They also emphasize the concept of time perception, in that people will lose five pounds in their first week with Nutrisystem, which may take the average person much longer than a week to accomplish. This shows consumers that Nutrisystem is easy and worth their time (Mortensen 175). Lastly, Nutrisystem triples the value of their product by offering additional benefits. Consumers get endless amounts of delicious food, gain a better lifestyle, become happier, and they get to lose weight. All of this can’t go without mentioning that the first week is free and Nutrisystem employs a money-back guaranteed policy if you don’t lose five pounds in that first week (Mortensen 166). There is no doubt that if I wanted to join a weight loss program I would choose Nutrisystem because of their ability to persuade through the Law of Contrast.
            According to Maximum Influence, by Kurt W. Mortensen, “The Law of Association defines the mental triggers and anchors that will generate the right feelings, emotions, and thoughts to create a persuasive environment” (Mortensen 124). Although I haven’t had the opportunity to use this law on someone I don’t know, the warm weather provides a good example of the Law of Association in action. I haven’t felt the warm glow of the sun on my skin in so long that it was almost too good to be true when it finally came. When the sun hit my skin just a few weeks ago I was persuaded to go outside as much as I could. I have so many positive feelings and emotions with spring that I am persuaded to maximize those feelings when and how I can. Picture the following: You touch the doorknob and turn it to venture outside of your cozy home. The first thing that greets you when the door swings open is a revitalizing breeze of cool air that travels through your nostrils and fills your lungs with a refreshing sensation. As you continue to walk the cool breeze softly touches your skin. Your eyes close and it feels as though you are floating in the clouds as the sound of bird’s peaceful chirping guide you along. The clouds take you higher and higher until you are met with the heavenly rays of the sun. Your eyes open and you realize that spring has come. These signs, sounds, and feelings of spring trigger positive emotions and memories within me. Such associations persuade me to go outside and experience more of those feelings while making the most of the warm season (Mortensen 124-125).

No comments:

Post a Comment